Monday, April 11, 2011

Why Tom Brady should grace the cover of Madden '12

Love him or hate him, Tom Brady is one of the most successful signal callers in NFL history.

With three Super Bowl rings, Brady is among the likes of Joe Montana (four rings), Terry Bradshaw (four rings), Troy Aikman (three rings), John Elway (two rings) and Roger Staubach (2 rings) in the category of most successful quarterbacks.

Brady currently holds numerous passing records--including most touchdown passes in a single season with 50--and has already been elected to six Pro Bowls and two first-team All Pro squads.

At age 33, Brady still has a couple of solid seasons ahead of him and is approximately 6,000 passing yards away from surpassing Montana in that category.

Brady just won his second career league MVP award this past season after putting up 36 passing touchdowns, 3,900 yards, just four interceptions, and a rating of 111.0. His Patriots were one-and-done in the postseason, but that doesn't diminish his regular season accomplishments one bit.
After all this I just have one question, why has he yet to appear on the cover of Madden?

When you take a look at the 32-player "Madden '12 cover bracket," big names such as Brady and Peyton Manning have been left off. Rather, some of the not-so-well known guys (such as Danny Woodhead and a few offensive lineman) are representing their respective teams in the process.

This has been explained a few different times, but basically EA Sports is trying to give the non-superstars a chance at the Madden cover, which I certainly support. But, I don't know if it's really the best idea if they are trying to rack up big bucks like usual. Maybe they aren't this year, who knows, but I do know that I highly doubt that the game will break the record for most money made on a video game.

In my opinion, I almost think they are trying to keep Brady and Manning away because they want to keep the NFL's 'prettyboys' away from this so-called Madden Curse. If so, they are greatly succeeding at doing so.

Either way, Brady wont be on the cover again this year and I really think he should be on the cover at some point in his career.

I'm not one of those guys who is in love with Tom Brady, first of all because I am not a Patriots fan, but I'm not a Brady-basher either. Too many people have been hating on Brady because he's just seen as one of those prettyboy quarterbacks, even though prettyboy quarterbacks of the past (Montana, Namath, Marino just to name a few) were absolutely loved by the fans.

It just doesn't seem right to me. Yes, Brady is very well-protected by his offensive line, and maybe the league officials throw a few more penalty flags on plays where he ends up on the ground. But the truth of the matter is, we are witnessing one of the purest passers in the history of the league.

Fans need to start appreciating that fact, because he very well could go down in history as the NFL's greatest quarterbacks of all-time by the end of his career.

I did my homework and looked up "Tom Brady and the Madden cover" just to see if he happened to pass up the opportunity to grace the cover in the past, and I didn't find a single thing. It looks as if EA Sports is trying to keep him away from the "curse."

If my name was Tom Brady, I know I wouldn't be scared of a silly curse.

Photo: no copyright infringement intended

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!